Monday, January 22, 2007

January 22, 2007

In Monday’s Alton Telegraph someone called in Sound Off and blasted another person for criticizing the mayor and other public officials. This person mention to look around and see the new businesses and the Weed and Seed program and how successful things have been in the last ten years.

I am not critical of our mayor or city officials. They have done the best they could, but it is just not enough. They are working hard with the Weed and Seed program, and businesses coming in are minimum wage jobs. This is great, but a lot more needs to be accomplished. When was the last time this caller had an opportunity to join in a round table meeting with the mayor or alderman? It is my belief the government needs to be brought back to the people for the people. Additionally, the city needs to look how it runs and become more business orientated. There are many techniques out there to stream line the government to save money which in turn can offer more things for the community. Businesses need to be offered reasons to stay in Alton, and we need to show how Alton is willing to except a company other than stores or fast food.

No, our mayor and aldermen have not done a bad job, but it is time for fresh ideas, and this should include the every day citizen in making recommendations to our leaders.

My goal, if people are willing to accept it, is to be that mayor of Alton, and I will bring more open meetings to every part of this city. I do not expect the people to come to me; I expect that I should have to meet with the people in their part of town. Listen to their concerns, and find ways to get more citizens pro active in improving our city. I think there are great ideas out there just waiting to be unveiled.

We also need to look new strategies to bring high paying jobs into Alton, and also companies who sell high ticket items which bring in revenue on sales tax.

I have an entire list of things to look into, but it will take a good 10 years to put in place. But my hat is off to our current city leaders for their hard work in the past, but we need to bring new and progressive ideas to the table with new blood in our city government. Watch for more information from me and soon I will be holding some meetings with citizens of Alton.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home