Thursday, May 17, 2007

People Watching at the Bank

Have you ever wondered why people do what they do? Lately I have been analyzing how people do business at a bank teller drive up window and the ATM. I discovered there are several categories of people that use the bank services.

The Unprepared banker is in my opinion difficult to understand. It never fails I get behind one of these people the majority of the time I go to the drive up at the bank. Why is it they wait till they are at the drive up to write a check or fill in their deposit slip? Did they not know that is needed when you go to the bank? I find myself watching these curious types thinking, they are hogging my time at the drive up. Which brings me to the next type.

The Prepared banker is what I am. Before I leave home, I know that all my slips or checks are properly filled out. I am in and out in less than a minute, minus the time the Unprepared banker makes me sit there. I don’t understand how I can do this in record setting time, and the person in front of me doesn’t understand the concept of being prepared.

Commercial Bankers are businesses that have an exclusive line at many banks. When they roll up, they look around, as to say, “Hey I am special and have my own personal lane.” And rightfully so, they are busy and time is money!

Then you have your sneakers. These are people who roll up in the commercial lane to conduct person business. They seem to drive up slowly as though they are sneaking in, and never look around. I would one time like to see a bank tell them to go around and get in the proper lane. That would be stunning surprise, but we all know banks are there to server their customers, and even the individual banker is important.

Then you have your ATM people. They are in a class to themselves. They are the typically fast past individuals, perhaps they do not like personal interaction, or they had enough of the Unprepared Banker. But there are different groups within this unique group such as hanging out my widow to reach or the person who tries to set a record for fastest withdrawal. But there is always the Unprepared ATM person who has graduated from the role of Unprepared Banker at the drive up. My most curious ATM person is the one who drives up to the machine and gets out of their vehicle to use the ATM. What is up with that? Are they that bad of driver they are afraid they may hit the machine?

All in all, bank watching has turned into a game for me. Each visit is different every time. Take the opportunity to see how many different things you see at bank drive ups or ATMs. Instead of being frustrated waiting in line like I was once, I now play the game of People Watching at the Bank.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home